Wednesday, October 19, 2016

A new way of eating

10/19/2016

I have been having a lot of stomach issues for the past month. The last time this happened it turned out I was allergic to potatoes and bananas. Instead of doing an elimination and reintroduction diet which can take months to complete, I decided to undergo a day of torture and get allergy testing for 58 foods.

The process itself wasn't that bad. It was annoying. It was itchy, my back was burning, I couldn't scratch it. I had to take a few Benadryl after it was all complete. The results were devastating. I am allergic to the following foods:

Shellfish: including clam, crab, oysters, shrimp, etc
Fish mix: cod, flounder, halibut, mackerel, tuna, etc.
Lemon
Soy beans
Tomatoes
Yellow Dye
Bananas
Potatoes
I'm also lactose intolerant.

My first reaction to this news:  I can't eat pizza anymore! Followed by tomatoes, soy, and yellow dye are in everything! What am I going to eat? The doctor said, it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but you're right blah blah went on about tacos. My last thought was who the hell is allergic to lemons? Thank god I'm not allergic to coffee.

Now I have basically narrowed it down to I can no longer eat processed foods. I have to put those two cooking schools to use and cook more often. I can eat meat, fruits (most of them at least), and vegetables. I will find other things in time that I can eat. For the next three months I have to keep a strict food journal about what all I eat and the digestive reactions I have from the foods to see if there is anything else that I can be allergic to that they can test by blood. If I seem grumpy it's probably because I'm hangry.

No comments:

Post a Comment